Import questions: QTI and QML import
This article describes how you can import questions from QTI 1.2 and QML files.
Note: QTI exists in different Versions. The supported Version for importing QTI in biz:Examiner is QTI 1.2.
Open the import location
- Sign in to biz:Examiner.
- Switch into the ‘author’ role using the role-switcher in the top right corner of the screen.
The roles depend on your subscription plan for biz:Examiner. There are cases when you may not see this option to switch to different roles and you directly see the author role for the authoring environment. If you have more questions, please contact us (at:), or contact your account administrator.
- In the sidebar, the ‘Topics Questions’ option is selected by default.
- Click on ‘import’.
- The ‘biz:Examiner | Import’ tab opens to show you multiple options to import topics.
Import QTI and QML files
- Select the ‘QTI and QML import’ tab.
- In ‘QTI XML file for import (Matrix as QML) – ZIP allowed’, click on ‘Choose file’. Select the target file from the file location. A zip file works fine if it contains the right files.
- In ‘Questions language’, select the language that you have used in the data in the files.
Note: The question language step creates the questions in a specific language. Later on, you can save the same question in another language, as another revision. This helps you while planning the exams in multiple languages. Please see Common Reference to Add New Question: Language options and settings and Common Reference to Add New Question: Revisions and Exams for more details.
In ‘Import type’, select an option for what you want to import. The options are:
- Only questions: Select this option to import only the questions
- Questions and topic structure: Select this option to import the entire structure of topics and the questions in those topics
- Only topic structure: Select this option to import only the structure of topics without the questions
Create exam and exam module
Create exam and exam module from import files: Select an option whether you want to create exams or exam modules. The options are:
- No: Select this option if you do not want to create exams or exam modules from this imported file.
- Create exam and exam module: Select this option to create exam and exam modules from this imported file
- Create only exam: Select this option to create only the exam and not the exam module
The ‘Exam title’ field is available if you select either of these two options in ‘Create exam and exam module from import files’—’Create exam and exam module’ or ‘Create only exam’ options.
Write the exam name in either case.
Exam module options
The ‘Create exam module as’ is available only if you select the ‘Create exam and exam module’ option in ‘Create exam and exam module from import files’. The exam module type options are:
- Exam: Select this option to create this exam module for a real exam.
- Demo: Select this option to create this exam module for a demo purpose.
- Click on ‘Upload’.
- The topics are imported and you can see a confirmation message as ‘Questions have been imported successfully.’
Caution: If the imported file is not in the correct format, the message ‘Import of questions failed!’ appears.
Caution: if the imported file is not in the correct format, you can see a message. Contact our support team and share the actual file that you are trying to import here.
The imported topics and their questions are shown in the list of topics. Use the ‘Refresh’ icon available just above the list of topics, to refresh the list of topics, and see the imported topics and questions.
If your upload attempts fail while using the provided templates and instructions, you may consider reaching out to our support team.