Common Reference to Add New Question: Using info overlays
About info overlays
In all the questions, there is an option to set up an ‘Info overlay’ that works as an additional help text or instruction for the participants when they are answering the question. You can add a new info overlay when you add a new question, or when you edit a question.
Info overlays can be used with automatic closing settings after some seconds. This is used in example for displaying a text which must be remembered by the participant for answering questions afterwards.
When you create an info overlay for any question, this is available for all the questions. You can create multiple info overlays and use any of these in multiple questions.
Please see Add new question and find the ‘Options’ tab to see where the info overlays are available.
Find the question location
To add an info overlay for any question, follow the steps below.
- Sign into biz:Examiner.
- Switch into the ‘author’ role using the role-switcher in the top right corner of the screen. In the sidebar, the ‘Questions’ option is selected by default.
- If one or more topics exist, these appear in a hierarchical structure, as the folders. Locate the topic and the target question.
Using the info overlays
- Select the ‘Options’ tab. In ‘General settings’, you can see ‘Show info overlay when jumping to the question’.
- Click on the ‘Info overlay’ icon and the ‘Info overlay’ dialog opens.
Add new info overlay
Click on ‘New info overlay’.
- In ‘Title’, write the name of the new info overlay.
- In ‘Language’, select the language for this info overlay.
- In ‘Text’, write the text that describes the info overlay. Use the text editor to format the content such as for lists, adding images, or for advanced settings such as to insert a formula. (Please see Common reference to add a new question: Using text editor, for more details on using the text editor.
- Click on ‘Create’ to save this info overlay. The info overlay is saved.
Follow the same steps to add more info overlays.
Manage language versions
In the list of overlays, click on the arrow to expand and to see and add more language versions for the same info overlay.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon and you can change the language.
- Click on ‘Add language version’ to add another language version for this info overlay.
- Click on the ‘Delete’ icon to remove the corresponding language version.
Set up info overlay visibility and behavior
In the list of overlays, click on the gear icon to open its settings.
In ‘Title’, change the title if required.
In ‘Automatic display’, you have three options.
- Select ‘Display automatically on every assigned question’ to show this info overlay automatically on all the questions in an exam.
- Select ‘Automatically display once per block’ to show this info overlay once on each block, automatically.
- Select ‘Do not select automatically’ so that this info overlay is not shown automatically. In this case, the participants can click on the info icon to open the overlay and see the instruction, as required.
In ‘Automatic closing’, enable it to close the overlay automatically. As you enable it, the Close automatically after (seconds) appears where you can select after how many seconds the overlay closes automatically.
In ‘Open icon available’, enable it so that the participants can click on this icon to open the info overlay.
In ‘Manual closing available’, enable it so that the participants can close the info overlay manually.