Add a new question: Multiple response
Adding a new question is common across all question types. To see how to add a new question, see Add a new question.
Add new multiple response type question
In the multiple response type questions, the participants can respond to the question by selecting none, one, or multiple choices.
To add a new multiple response type question, follow the steps below.
- Select ‘Multiple Response’ as the question type. The ‘New question’ dialog box opens that shows the question type as ‘Multiple Response’.
- In ‘Title’, write the title of this question. This title appears in the list of topics.
- In ‘Language’, select a language that you want to use in the question.
- In ‘Tags’, write one or more tags for this question. These tags can be the keywords for this question that you can use to search a question anytime.
- Click on ‘Create’ to save this new question. You can click on ‘Back’ to select another type of question to get started.
When a new question is added to the list of topics, a yellow color icon shows in the topic title. It means that the question is not activated.
Complete the question details and advanced settings
The ‘Question text’ tab
The ‘Question text’ tab is selected by default. Write the question text here.
Text editor for formatting
A text editor is available to format the question content for styling options. Please see Common reference to add a new question: Using text editor, for the detailed instructions.
The menu options
The text editor shows a menu bar where a set of menus show you the basic text editor options, and a few additional and advanced actions to set up the right structure of the questions’ text as required. Please see Common reference to add a new question: Using menus, for the detailed instructions.
You have an option to add an instruction for this question. Instructions are common for the same question types. If another ‘Multiple response’ type question already has one or more instructions in any language, these instructions are available in this new ‘Multiple response’ type question in the same language, for your use.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon and the ‘Edit instructions’ dialog box opens.
- Click on ‘Add instruction’.
- In ‘Language’, select a language for the instruction text.
- In ‘Instruction text’ write the content for the instruction.
- Click on ‘Save’ to save this instruction.
Follow the same steps to add more instructions and you can select any one instruction, anytime when you edit this question.
The ‘Answers’ tab
The options and choices that you see in this ‘Answers’ tab change depending on the evaluation settings that you select in the ‘Options’ tab. Please check the ‘Options’ tab for how the settings in the ‘Answers’ tab change, later in this article below.
Select the ‘Answers’ tab to write down the answers for the question. One answer block is available by default.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon, and the ‘Edit answer’ dialog box appears.
- Write the answer for this multiple response question type. Use the text editor to format the answer, as required. If you want to use images, please see Common reference to add new question: Add and manage images for the detailed instructions.
- Click on ‘Apply’ to save the answer.
The real answer text appears in the list of answering options now.
Add more answers
Click on ‘Insert question at the beginning’ or ‘Insert question at the end’ to add more answers, as required. Follow the same steps to change the text for these new answers in this question.
After you add all answers for this question, select ‘Answer is correct’ for the correct answer. Since this is a ‘Multiple Response’ type question, you can select multiple answers as the correct answers. These answers are matched when the participants respond to this question, to assign them the points.
For all the answers, you have options to:
- Re-order: Click on the up arrow or down arrow icon to change the sequence or order of the answers.
- Delete: Click on the ‘Cross’ icon to remove the answer.
The ‘Options’ tab
The ‘Evaluation settings’ enable you to set up point scoring settings for the question.
In ‘Evaluation type’, there is an option to set up the point scoring for the entire question or for each answer in the question.
When you select an evaluation setting, some of the options change in the ‘Answers’ tabs, correspondingly.
Evaluation Setting: Award points per answer
Select ‘Award points per answer’ option to award the points for each answer within this question. In this case, the participants score points for each correct answer even if one or more answers within the same question are wrong.
Evaluation Setting: Award points for question
Select ‘Award points for question’ option to award the points for the entire question. In this case, the points that you assigned to each answer in the ‘Answers’ tab are not valid and you cannot see these settings in the ‘Answers’ tab now. Two new fields appear and specify the points in ‘Points for correct answer’ and ‘Points for wrong answer’ for the correct or wrong answer, respectively.
- In ‘Points for correct answer’, write the points that the participants score when they answer the question correctly.
- In ‘Points for wrong answer’, write the points that the participants score when they answer the question wrongly. You can use this option to assign negative points for the incorrect answers.
- In ‘Negative points possible’: Select ‘Yes’ if the participants can score negative points for this question and select ‘No’ if the participants cannot score negative points for this question.
- In ‘Ignore question in result calculation when not answered’: Select ‘Yes’ if you want that the points scored in this question are not included in the exam result, if the question is not answered. For example, if the exam settings mean that an unanswered question invites some negative score. In that case, this setting here in ‘Ignore question in result calculation when now allowed’ enables you to bypass that exam setting.
- Select ‘Allow selection of multiple answers’ to allow the participants to select multiple answers for this question.
- Select ‘Only one answer can be selected’, to restrict the participants to select one answer only, for this question.
In ‘Show info overlay when jumping to the question’, you can add and use information overlays to add additional messages. For example, a tooltip like help text for the participants when they are in an exam. Please see Common reference to add new question: Using info overlays for more details.
Select ‘Show question text in split panel (not available in preview)’ to show the question text in a column view when the participants answer this question. Select ‘show in left panel’ or ‘show in right panel’ to show the question in the left side or right side column of the answer space, respectively.
The other tabs
For the instructions on the other details in the ‘Options; tab, the ‘Feedback’ tab, the ‘Media/Resources’ tab, the ‘Information’ tab, the ‘Topics’ tab, and the ‘Preview’ tab, please see Add a new question for details.
- Click on ‘Save’ to save these details in the question. When you use the ‘Save’ option, the question does not impact the exam if it is added to an exam. In a way, the question is saved as a draft and you can add it to an exam, anytime.
- Click on ‘Save and activate’ to save the question, and to activate it. This means that the question is locked now and is ready to be added to an exam. If you make any changes in the question or its settings after you use ‘Save and activate’, the question is saved as the next revision for an exam.