Add a new question: Hotspot
This article describes how you can add a new question of Hotspot type, to your biz:Examiner authoring environment.
The first steps
Adding a new question is common across all question types. To see how to add a new question, see Add a new question.
Add new hotspot type question
In a hotspot type question, the participants need to pin something on an image. For example you can plan a question where they need to mark the virus infected area on the lung in an x-ray image, or add a mark for the road sign to advise the car drivers to drive slowly.
To add a new hotspot question, follow the steps below.
- Select ‘Hotspot’ as the question type. The ‘New question’ dialog box opens that shows the question type as ‘Hotspot’.
- In ‘Title’, write the title of this question. This title appears in the list of topics.
- In ‘Language’, select a language that you want to use in the question.
- In ‘Tags’, write one or more tags for this question. These tags can be the keywords for this question when you can use these to search a question anytime.
- Click on ‘Create’ to save this new question. You can click on ‘Back’ to select another type of question to get started.
When a new question is added, a yellow color icon shows in the topic title. It means that the question is not activated.
Complete the question details and advanced settings
The ‘Question text’ tab
The ‘Question text’ tab is selected by default. Write the question text here.
Text editor for formatting
A text editor is available to format the question content for styling options. Please see Common reference to add a new question: Using text editor, for the detailed instructions.
The menu options
The text editor shows a menu bar where a set of menus show you the basic text editor options, and a few additional and advanced actions to set up the right structure of the questions’ text as required. Please see Common reference to add a new question: Using menus, for the detailed instructions.
You have an option to add an instruction for this question. Instructions are common for the same question types. If another ‘Hotspot’ type question already has one or more instructions in any language, these instructions are available in this new ‘Hotspot’ type question in the same language, for your use.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon and the ‘Edit instructions’ dialog box opens.
- Click on ‘Add instruction’.
- In ‘Language’, select a language for the instruction text.
- In ‘Instruction text’ write the content for the instruction.
- Click on ‘Save’ to save this instruction.
Follow the same steps to add more instructions and you can select any one instruction, anytime when you edit this question.
The ‘Background image’ tab
Add a background image for this question. Select the ‘Background image’ tab.
The ‘Upload background image’ dialog opens. You can upload a background image.
If the question text contains one or more images, these are listed in this dialog box, and you can select any of these as the background image. In the ‘Images available for all questions’ tab, you can see a list of all the questions that are available in all the questions, in this topic. Select any of these images to set it as the background image of this question.
The ‘Hotspot targets’ tab
You can add one or more elements as hotspot targets on the image. For each target, you can set up its height and width in pixels, and its location. Click on ‘new target area’ to add a new hotspot target.
A hotspot target appears on the image. Every time you click on the ‘new target area’, a default size hotspot target appears on the image. For each target, you have the following options.
Set up size of hotspot area
Click on the anchor (little purple square) at the top-left corner of the hotspot target area. It is filled with a default yellow color which shows that it is selected for action now.
- In ‘Height’, write the height of the hotspot element, in pixels.
- In ‘Weight’, write the width of the hotspot element, in pixels.
- In ‘Point’, write the width of the hotspot element border.
To change the size, you can also use the resize anchor to resize the hotspot target. The values in height and width also change in real time.
Delete a hotspot area
Every hotspot target area shows you an option to delete it. Click on the ‘Delete’ icon to delete an hotspot area.
The other tabs
For the instructions on the ‘Options’ tab, the ‘Feedback’ tab, the ‘Media/Resources’ tab, the ‘Information’ tab, the ‘Topics’ tab, and the ‘Preview’ tab, please see Add a new question for details.
- Click on ‘Save’ to save these details in the question. When you use the ‘Save’ option, the question does not impact the exam if it is added to an exam. In a way, the question is saved as a draft and you can add it to an exam, anytime.
Click on ‘Save and activate’ to save the question, and to activate it. This means that the question is ready to be added to an exam. If you make any changes in the question or its settings after you use ‘Save and activate’, the question is saved as the next revision for an exam. Please see Questions – Common Reference to Add New Question: Revisions and Exams for more details.